Welcome back to “Free Pattern Friday”, a fresh new free pattern every week! You’ll find today’s pattern at the very bottom of this page. Due to the dozens of complaints I received last week, Free Pattern Friday patterns will no longer be available as Ravelry downloads. Sorry. They are available FREE to print from this location. Please see the FAQ tab above if you have trouble printing.
As much as I love my hand knit sweaters, it’s time once again to launder them and put them carefully away. I thought it would be a perfect time to knit some little sachets to stuff with dried lavender and tuck in with my woolies. They’ll emerge in the fall smelling wonderful and without a trace of pests. These little sachet bags are simple, sweet and very quick to knit. Sweet Sally Sachets can be made in two sizes with a variety of surface treatments. The larger bag features a moss stitch heart motif, while the smaller bags can be made with your choice of Dot Stitch, beads or sequins. They’re worked in silky soft Baby Bamboo, a blend of bamboo with a touch of wool, and edged with the lacy crown picot bind off. Trimmings, ribbons, bead and other embellishments can be added to personalize these pretty sachets. And what a lovely gift!
In case you haven’t got enough to do, what with planning summer vacation and swapping winter clothes for summer, you’ll need something to knit! In honor of Sock Month, I’m going to offer a BOGO discount on sock patterns this weekend. Yup! Buy any sock pattern and get the second one free 🙂 Just put both patterns in your Ravelry cart and enter the coupon code SOCKS2GO.
And so, without further ado, here’s your free pattern for today…Sweet Sally Sachets! Happy Knitting, everyone 😉 Many thanks to talented Christine for knitting these samples!
I’ve started a Free Pattern Friday Ravelry group where you can post your comments, chat, feedback, modifications and suggestions. I hope to see you there! And don’t forget to tune in to LittleChurch: The Podcast. Happy Knitting!
Sweet Sally Sachets
Drawstring sachets in two sizes for dried lavender or scented soap.
- Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo (80% Bamboo, 20% Wool) 50g/104yds, 1 skein makes one large and one small
- 2.75mm circular needle with min. 32” cable for Magic Loop
- OR Set of five 2.75mm dpn’s
- Removable stitch marker, tapestry needle for weaving in ends
- Small beads or sequins (opt.),
- Short lengths of yarn, ribbon or lace for drawstrings
GAUGE: 22 sts & 28 rows = 4” in Stockinette St
FINISHED DIMENSIONS: Large: 4-1/2″ wide x 5-1/2″ tall Small: 3-1/2″ wide x 5″ tall
- Worked in the round from the bottom up beginning with Judy’s Magic Cast on and ending with a decorative bind off.
- Sachet can be worked in dot stitch, with added beads or sequins, or with a heart motif.
SMALL SACHET: Using Judy’s Magic Cast On, cast on 38 sts divided evenly over 2 needle ends for Magic Loop, then work 6 rounds even. [CLICK HERE for a video tutorial of Judy’s Magic Cast On]
Work Alternating Dot/Bead stitch pattern as follows: (For Bead Stitch, substitute bead for purl st.)
- Rnd 1: [K3, * p1, k3* ] repeat across Ndl 2
- Rnd 2, 3, 4: Knit
- Rnd 5: [K5, * p1, k3* repeat to last 6 sts, end p1, k5] repeat across Ndl 2
- Rnd 6, 7, 8: Knit
Repeat pattern rnds 1 – 8 three times. Knit 2 rnds even.
Work eyelet rnd as follows: [k2 * K2tog, yo, k2* repeat to last 3 sts, end k1] repeat across Ndl 2. Work 2 rnds even.
Bind off as follows:
Crown Picot Bind-Off
- Step 1: Cast on two sts using the knitted cast on
- Step 2: K2, then, BO 2
- Step 3: Slip the remaining st from the right needle to the left (This makes one picot point).
- Step 4: Repeat steps 1 -3 three times in total (three picot points), leaving the last st on the right needle
- Step 5: Bind off 4 sts, then slip the last st back onto the left needle and repeat all 5 steps until all sts are bound off. (For Small Sachet, you’ll be left with 6 sts in last repeat. Simply bind them off.)
Weave in ends and wet block.
LARGE SACHET: Using Judy’s Magic Cast On, cast on 50 sts divided evenly over 2 needles for Magic Loop, then work 7 rounds even.
Work Chart rounds 1 – 31 over each needle
Work 6 rnds even
Work eyelet rnd as follows: [K1 *k2tog, yo, k3* repeat 4 times, k2tog, k2] repeat across ndl 2.
Work 2 rnds even.
Bind off according to Crown Picot Bind Off as for Small Sachet.
Weave in ends and wet block.
**Dash (-) indicates purl, bead or sequin**
CLICK HERE for Standard Abbreviations
**Please direct pattern and knitting questions to email@example.com for fastest results. Please do not post knitting questions in the blog comments. Thanks!