Today’s project is the cool and pretty Magnolia Market Tote. Ideal for beginners, this handy tote shows off your fancy new stitch combinations and makes a perfect portable spring knitting project. Magnolia is worked in the round from the top down in soft, silky Butterfly cotton which comes in millions of wonderful colors. Great for the beach, too!
These patterns are printable…just click the print button in the lower corner. They are free for charity and personal use but not for distribution. Please link back to http://littlechurchknits.com whenever possible. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com with any questions.
I’ve started a Free Pattern Friday Ravelry group where you can post your comments, chat, feedback, modifications and suggestions. I hope to see you there!
Happy knitting, everyone!
Magnolia Market Tote
A tote bag for beginners.
YARN: Butterfly Mercerized Cotton, Super 10 (230m/249yd, 100% cotton) 2 skeins
NEEDLES: 4.00 mm circulara needle with 24″ cable AND 4.00 mm double-point needles for working I-cord
TOOLS/NOTIONS: Removable stitch markers (one distinctive for beginning of round), tapestry needle, stitch holder or waste yarn, 1 large decorative button, 1 small, clear backing button (opt.)
GAUGE: 22 sts & 28 rows = 4″ in Stockinette Stitch after blocking
NOTES: Bag is worked in the round from the top down. Bat bottom is worked flat and joined using the Kitchener Stitch. Straps and button loops are worked in I-cord from picked up stitches.
I-CORD: (worked over 3 sts on dpn): Work 3 sts as normal. WITHOUT TURNING, *Slide sts to opposite end of dpn. Drawing yarn snugly across the back of the work, k 3* repeat.
Using the Long Tail method, CO 144 sts on circular needle. (For a video tutorial on the Longtail Cast On, CLICK HERE). Join for knitting in the round. Place unique marker at beginning of round.
SET UP RND: K 36, PM for center front, k 36, PM for side, k 36, PM for center back, k to end of rnd.
GARTER ST BORDER:
- [Purl one rnd, knit one rnd] repeat once.
- Purl next rnd.
- Knit 4 rnds.
MOSS ST BAND:
- Moss Rnd 1: *K 1, p 1* to 6 sts before next marker, k 6, SM, k 6, *k 1, p 1* to end of rnd.
- Moss Rnd 2: *P 1, k 1* to 6 sts before next marker, k 6, SM, k 6, *p 1, k 1* to end of rnd.
- Repeat Moss Rnds 1 & 2 until 2″ have been worked in Moss St, then:
Purl one rnd, knit one rnd, purl one rnd. Work 1″ in Stockinette Stitch.
BASKETWEAVE (BW) SECTION:
- BW Rnd 1 – 4: *K 3, p 3* repeat to end of rnd.
- BW Rnd 5 – 8: *P 3, k 3* repeat to end of rnd.
- Repeat these 8 rnds until Basketweave section measures 5-1/2″, then:
Purl one rnd, knit one rnd, purl one rnd.
Work even in stockinette stitch until work measures 12″ from cast on edge.
SET UP RND:k 60, BO 24, k 48, BO 12, place the last 48 sts on a stitch holder or waste yarn. You will now be working flat. (The edges of this narrow section will be sewn to the bound off stitches to form box corners during the finishing process.)
- BO 12, k 48, turn.
- Working flat over 48 sts, work 4″ in Stockinette Stitch ending with a purl row.
- Place 48 sts from waste yarn onto opposite end of circular needle. Break working yarn leaving a 24″ tail, thread through tapestry needle.
- Join live sts using the Kitchener St. For a video tutorial of the Kitchener Stitch, CLICK HERE .
Using removable markers, mark inner edge of strap positions at 16th stitch on either side of center front and center back.
- Using dpn, pick up and knit 4 strap sts at one of the two strap markers. Work 4 rows Stockinette Stitch, ending with a purl row.
- Begin working I-cord over 4 sts (see Special Stitches in sidebar). Work until strap measures 20″ from picked up sts.
- Work 4 rows Stockinette Stitch. Bind off. Break yarn leaving an 18″ tail.
- Thread tail through tapestry needle. Stitch remaining strap end to bag front according to second marker.
Work as for Front Strap.
- CO 3 sts, work 8″ in I-cord, Bind off.
- Stitch to back of bag at center back marking.
- Attach button at center of stockinette square on bag front.
- Sew box corner by matching bound off sts at side of bag with narrow edge of bottom section. Repeat at other side.
- Weave in all ends and wet block.
FINISHED DIMENSIONS: Approx. 26″ in circumference, 12″ tall
CLICK HERE for Standard Abbreviations